Heavy rain does nothing to deter Edgell Jog runners

WARMING UP: Entrants in the Bathurst Edgell Jog doing warm up exercises before the start. Photo:CHRIS SEABROOK 091816cejog6

WARMING UP: Entrants in the Bathurst Edgell Jog doing warm up exercises before the start. Photo:CHRIS SEABROOK 091816cejog6

IT was the last thing organisers wanted, but, fortunately the heavy rain on Sunday did nothing to detract from the Edgell Jog, with around 1100 people completing the 7.5km course.

THIRD PLACE: Wes Gibson.

THIRD PLACE: Wes Gibson.

As far as anyone could ascertain it was the second time in the jog’s 41-year history that it has rained.

Still, the crowd, which included everyone from serious runners to families walking their dogs turned up and were ready at the start line eager to go at 10.30am.

The team from City Fit led the warm up before Mayor Gary Rush sounded the the buzzer signalling the start of the race.

Edgell Jog committee member, Ray Stapley, said it was the first time it had rained since he has been involved in the event, but said despite the weather registrations on Sunday morning were still good.

“We’ve got over 1100 people registered, and up until Friday afternoon had record on line entries.

“I think there were 740 on line entries by Friday, which is great,” he said.

Mr Stapley, who participated in the jog, said he expected “to get wet”, but was confident he would finish the course in under 60 minutes.

“I have to be back by 11.30, I’ve got to hand out the prizes,”he laughed.

Mr Stapley thanked everyone involved in organising the event and making it such a success.

“Everything was set up by 9am, all our volunteers did a fantastic job, everything just fell into line.”

“It’s a shame about the weather, I think the last time it rained prior to the event but stopped before the race started.”

In opening the event, Mayor, Gary Rush, said the Edgell Jog was a great community event, and it was good people hadn’t been deterred by the weather.

“Hundreds and hundreds of people look forward to this every year, and the weather hasn’t put a dampener on it.”

“It’s the first time [organisers] have had rain of this extent, but thankfully it’s not that cold, so it hasn’t distracted from the event,” he said.

In fact after crossing the finishing line, the first runner home, Kevin O’Brien, who recorded a time of  25 minutes 37 seconds said the conditions worked in his favour.

Originally from Ireland, Mr O’Brien, who came to Australia 12 months ago said “It was wet, very wet, but the conditions suited me.”

Bathurst teenager, Brandon Martin, placed second in the jog.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide