LOWER Russell Street was shut down on Friday night after a fire broke out at the Old Gas Works site.
Emergency crews closed off access to the area, as they contained a fire in the roof of one of the outbuildings.
Acting Station Officer Fire Fighter Tim Anderson said firies got the call out at 7.20pm and responded with multiple resources, including their Hazmat unit.
Station Officer Anderson said the fire was only minor, but because of the older building there were concerns with asbestos, so fire crews wore breathing apparatus and the Hazmat unit was also brought in.
Councillor Bobby Bourke, who has long petitioned for improved security at the site said it’s only a matter of time before someone gets killed at the site.
Cr Bourke said energy company Jemena had agreed to update security and fencing back in September, but said clearly that had yet to happen.
“Urgent action needs to be taken.
“I think it’s time to put it to the community should the site be knocked down?”.