A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has been issued for large parts of the state, including Bathurst.
The Bureau of Meteorology warn that the thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours.
Other locations which may be affected include: Orange, Katoomba, Goulburn, Cooma, Yass, Walgett, Dubbo, Parkes, Cobar, Bourke and Lightning Ridge.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring triple-0 if you need rescue
- Unplug computers and appliances
- Avoid using the phone during the storm
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES on 132 500.