Bathurst Bushrangers Rebels win via forfeit against Cowra Blues

BATHURST Bushrangers Rebels were denied Central West AFL match time on Saturday after the would-be visiting Cowra Blues side forfeited the meeting at George Park 2.

Rebels were aiming for a second win over the Blues this season after a monstrous 152-point thrashing at Mulyan Oval in May.

Cowra once again forfeited on a round where they were due to play in Bathurst – the previous time coming against the Bushrangers Outlaws side last month.

NO GAME: Harry Bowden and the Bathurst Bushrangers Rebels won via forfeit over Cowra Blues. Photo: PHIL BLATCH

NO GAME: Harry Bowden and the Bathurst Bushrangers Rebels won via forfeit over Cowra Blues. Photo: PHIL BLATCH

Co-coach Matt Griffin said it was disappointing to see the Blues in their current state with player numbers.

“They’ve been struggling through most of the season,” he said.

“We were pretty disappointed to hear about it. You really feel for Cowra in their current situation.

“It’s disappointing especially since their the reigning competition premiers. You never want to see anyone slide away like that. Hopefully they can rebuild for next season and the competition will be able to give them the support to do that.

“We had the Indigenous round on Saturday too. It was great to watch the women’s team and the Outlaws boys having a run but it was a bit of bittersweet feeling sitting on the sidelines for it.”

The result – recorded as a 100-0 Rebels win – keeps the Bushrangers side clear on top of the table.

Club mates Outlaws plus Orange Tigers sit four points adrift.

Rebels play Bathurst Giants next round.