THE big rigs will rumble down William Street this morning as the popular drivers’ parade again signals the official start of Race Week fun in the city.
But deputy mayor Bobby Bourke says there is still a lot more Bathurst Regional Council and Australian Supercars can do to give back to the fans that flock to town every year to support the Bathurst 1000.
Thousands of race fans will line the street to cheer on the Virgin Australia Supercar Champions and transporters as they roll into town.
The drivers’ parade will then turn into Russell Street to enter Kings Parade to prepare for two signing sessions as the transporters continue on to Mount Panorama.
The driver parade starts at 11am and two signing sessions will follow on Kings Parade at 12.15pm and 1.15pm.
Last year’s Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 winners Will Davison and Jonathon Webb will be presented their Walk of Fame champions’ plaque at 1pm.
Deputy mayor Bobby Bourke said it was an exciting time of the year for Bathurst but he wants to see the parade made even bigger and better in future.
“It needs to be a festival,” Cr Bourke said.
Cr Bourke said he had spoken to race organisers about building on the transporter parade to create a party in the centre of town.
“I would like to see something for the kids in Kings Parade – maybe puppet shows and music, that sort of thing,” he said.
“We have a lot of kids come to town for the race and we’re trying to make the Mount more family-friendly so we need more family-friendly entertainment.
“Council and local businesses make a lot out of Mount Panorama and I will be looking at making sure we give a bit back.”
- 8.15am: Shell V-Power Racing Fuel Price Drop, celebrating 50 years of Shell and Dick Johnson at Shell Coles Express, corner Rocket and Stewart Streets.
- 9.30am: Mark Winterbottom unveils a special race car paying tribute to Ford’s 1-2 finish in 1977, Pit Straight, Mount Panorama.
- 11am: Transporter and driver parade, William Street.
- 12.15pm: Driver signing, Kings Parade.
- 1pm: 2016 champions plaque presentation, Kings Parade.
- 1.15pm: Driver signing, Kings Parade.