Petition for roundabout at intersection of Mitre, Suttor and Lambert streets nears 5000 signatures

FLASHBACK: Kent and Dianne McNab back when they had just cracked 4000 signatures. The couple is now less than 100 signatures away from having 5000, which will make the petition eligible to be presented to parliament.
FLASHBACK: Kent and Dianne McNab back when they had just cracked 4000 signatures. The couple is now less than 100 signatures away from having 5000, which will make the petition eligible to be presented to parliament.

A PETITION to construct a roundabout at the intersection of Mitre, Suttor and Lambert streets is just days away from the crucial 5000 signatures. 

Kent and Dianne McNab started the petition earlier this year as part of their ongoing campaigning to find a solution for the confusing intersection. 

The goal for the petition was to reach 5000 signatures, the amount required to present a petition to parliament. 

Mr McNab said he had been in contact with member for Bathurst Paul Toole to find out who to present the petition to and, now that he had been given a name, he would schedule a meeting once 5000 signatures were obtained. 

He said it was necessary to take the fight for a roundabout outside of Bathurst.

“We want the parliamentarians that represent our area to know what is going on in Bathurst,” Mr McNab said. 

The petition has already been presented to Bathurst Regional Council, back when it had 4444 signatures. 

Since then, Mr McNab, with the support of his wife, continued to collect signatures by door-knocking in the suburbs most affected by the intersection.

“We’re mainly doing West Bathurst, Llanarth and Windradyne because they are the ones most affected,” he said.

“But people from Raglan, Kelso and places like that have signed it, too.

“It is hard work, but we don’t get many people that are against it.”

In order to get the signatures, Mr McNab has visited an average of 40 houses per night over the last month to encourage people to sign the petition.

He said that “99.9 per cent of people” had been positive when he had spoken with them, even if they didn’t sign his petition. 

As of Wednesday, he had less than 100 signatures left to collect before reaching the magic number. 

Mr and Mrs McNab will continue to lobby council for action and are due to make their 10th speech to councillors at the next meeting on October 18. 

They have encouraged people who have had incidents at the intersection to join them.

“I’d advise any victims to come along to the next council meeting to explain to the council how dangerous that intersection is,” Mr McNab said. 

The couple has regularly been supported by other residents at council’s Ordinary meetings. 

These have included crash victims, people who have had near misses and residents who live in the area that have witnessed multiple incidents there.