A 31-YEAR-OLD man remains in Bathurst Hospital in a stable condition following a hazardous materials incident in Kelso.
Emergency service crews were called to a Toronto Street business at 8.34am on Tuesday following reports an unknown powder had caught alight.
The incident forced the evacuation of 13 people from the business and left one man in hospital after he sustained respiratory effects from the powder.
A 31-YEAR-OLD man remains in Bathurst Hospital following a hazardous materials incident in Kelso.
Firefighters and ambulance crews were called to Chep’s industrial complex on Toronto Street at 8.34am on Tuesday following reports an unknown powder had caught alight.
The incident forced the evacuation of 13 people from the business.
NSW Ambulance Inspector Rhys Dive said paramedics treated one man on scene before he was taken to hospital.
“A 31-year-old male was transported to Bathurst Base Hospital in a stable condition after sustaining the respiratory effects of an unknown substance,” he said.
Fire and Rescue NSW Station Officer Chris Sanders said multiple crews and HAZMAT (hazardous materials) experts were called to the scene.
“We were called to an unknown substance that had ignited in a warehouse,” he said.
“It had been smoldering for a short while, but it had gone out by the time we got there.”
Firefighters wore chemical spill suits to clean up the powder.
At this stage the type of powder involved in the incident remains unknown.
ONE person has been taken to hospital with breathing difficulties following a hazmat incident in Kelso.
Firefighters were called to Toronto Street on Tuesday morning following reports of an unknown powder.
Fire and Rescue NSW Superintendent Brett Jackson said one person was transported to hospital following the incident.
“Firefighters are still on scene conducting a clean up operation,” he said.
Superintendent Jackson said the powder substance remains unknown at this time.
Firefighters from Bathurst and Kelso are at the incident.
More to come.