SEVERAL roads are closed across the Bathurst region this morning following several days of rain.
Bathurst Regional Council’s latest update, issued at 7.45am on Saturday, advises that the following roads have been cut by water:
- Eleven Mile Drive: Water over road at Saltram Creek.
- Logan Street (gravel section): Very soft and slippery.
- Limekilns Road: Water over Causeway at no. 2905.
- Lloyds Road: Water over road between Vale Road and Gormans Hill Road.
- Lagoon Road: Water over road at Kables Bridge.
- Vale Road: Water over road.
- Hereford Street: Water over Gordon Edgell Bridge.
- Ophir Road: Water over causeway near Abercrombie House.
- Turondale Road: Water over Coles Bridge.
Bathurst Airport was also closed on Friday evening after some minor damage to the main runway was discovered.
Council is hoping to start work on repairs on Saturday.
Meanwhile, minor flooding along the Macquarie River is expected to inundate homes in Georges Plains and Perthville.
The latest flood bulletin from Bathurst SES, issued at 6.15am on Saturday, says the river is now expected to reach five metres with moderate flooding at around noon on Saturday.
Further rises are possible.
“Residents at Georges Plains and Perthville should be aware that flooding along the Georges Plains and Vale Creek is likely to inundate low lying homes and businesses,” the bulletin states.
“Farmers and other landholders are asked to move pumps and farm equipment, livestock, stock feed and chemicals from low lying areas to higher ground.”
The NSW SES advises that people avoid walking or driving through flood water it may be deeper and faster flowing than they realise and is a major cause of flood related deaths. Remember If Its Flooded Forget it!
The NSW SES advises:
- For emergency help in floods and storms, call the NSW SES on 132 500.
- In life threatening emergencies call 000.
- Visit the NSW SES website at www.ses.nsw.gov.au for up to date information.
- For safety information on floods visit the NSW SES Flood Safe website at www.floodsafe.com.au.
- Listen to the designated emergency broadcaster ABC Central West and/or your local radio station for further information.
- For information on local roads contact your local council.
- For road information on state government managed roads go to Live Traffic NSW website at http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au.
- For rural animal and livestock assistance contact your Local Land Services Office.
- For Bureau of Meteorology weather forecasts and flood predictions including river height information visit www.bom.gov.au.