Gas leak prompts an emergency response

A HANDYMAN working on a property created an emergency call out after he accidentally ruptured a gas line on Thursday morning.

He was working outside a property at 200 Russell Street at 7.45am when the line ruptured allowing gas to leak into the atmosphere.

Fire and Rescue NSW and Jemena field crews were immediately called to the site.

“As part of Jemena’s response to this incident, gas was shut off to one residential customer,” a Jemena spokesman said. “Following successful repairs, Jemena restored gas to the residency within 43 minutes.

“Jemena has been informed that a handyman who was working on the property accidentally damaged gas infrastructure which caused the leak.”