A DAMAGING wind and thunderstorm warning has been issued for Bathurst and large parts of the Central Tablelands.
The warning was announced by the Bureau of Meteorology at 5.57pm on Friday.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours.
Other locations which may be affected include: Orange, Canberra, Goulburn, Dubbo, Wagga Wagga, Albury, Cobar and Bourke.
Thunderstorms have produced the following wind gusts:
- 98 km/h at 5.15pm at a weather station just to the northwest of the ACT
- 93 km/h at Canberra Airport at 5.38pm
- 100 km/h at Orange Airport at 5.50pm
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony
- Keep at least eight metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill
- Unplug computers and appliances
- Avoid using the phone during the storm
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.