A WOMAN and her three young children have had a lucky escape following a fire in their West Bathurst home.
Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews were called to a property on McGrath Street at 10.30am on Wednesday following reports that a blaze had broken out.
FRNSW Station Officer Doug Fisk said the fire started in the laundry.
“A young woman with her three young kids smelt smoke and her washing machine had caught alight,” he said.
“It was well alight and had started to impinge on the laundry.
“Her house was quite damaged by smoke.”
Nobody was injured during the blaze.
Station Officer Fisk said while this woman was home when the fire occurred, it was a timely reminder that people should be aware of any appliances they leave running if they are going out.
“It [the washing machine] was only fives years old so it could have been an electrical fault,” he said.
Station Officer said the woman did have a working smoke alarm in the property and this helped to alert her to the blaze.
He also praised nearby neighbours who assisted the woman during the incident with her children.