Bathurst 1000: Councillor Ian North wants next year's launch in Bathurst

SYDNEY LAUNCH: Paul Toole, Sean Seamer, David Reynolds, Colin Bond and Graeme Hanger with the Peter Brock Trophy at the launch of the Great Race last month. Photo: SUPERCARS
SYDNEY LAUNCH: Paul Toole, Sean Seamer, David Reynolds, Colin Bond and Graeme Hanger with the Peter Brock Trophy at the launch of the Great Race last month. Photo: SUPERCARS

BATHURST councillor Ian North has called for Supercars organisers to end the practice of launching each year’s Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 in Sydney.

The official launch of this year’s race was held at Fox Studios on August 16, featuring last year’s winner David Reynolds and Great Race legend Colin Bond.

But Cr North said the launch should be held in Bathurst on Mount Panorama – the spiritual home of Australian motorsport.

“This is the most recognised race track in the world and the jewel in the crown for the V8 Supercars series,” he said. “To me, we’ve got to find a way to get it here.

“This is where we race and so many top racers around the world want to race here. I would like to see us launch the Great Race here in Bathurst. Surely through contractual obligations we can get these guys up here.”

Cr North said there regular flights between Sydney and Bathurst along with rail services and a “great road system that’s getting better all the time”.

“I’m sure for the sake a couple of hours’ flight we can find a way of getting them here,” he said.

General manager David Sherley said the launch had been taken to Sydney in recent years to ensure the attendance of the national and international racing media to get the widest possible coverage of the event.

“We just weren’t getting them when the launch occurred in Bathurst so to get that profile, that’s why it was moved down to Sydney,” Mr Sherley said.

The 2018 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 is from October 4-7.

Countdown to the Bathurst 1000

You can sign up now for our free morning headlines email