FOLLOWING the news that a mother with her child had been hit on a pedestrian crossing, councillors have spoken out against the problematic intersection of George and Howick streets.
On Wednesday, one person was taken to Bathurst Base Hospital for treatment following the mid-morning collision.
A spokesperson for NSW Ambulance couldn’t confirm which person had been transported to hospital for treatment, but said the mother, 25, had been struck on her left side by the vehicle.
She reported pain to her leg as a result, but didn’t appear to have any further injuries.
The intersection where the collision occurred has long been cause for concern, with residents, business owners and councillors agreeing that the position of two crossings on either side of the roundabout were problematic.
Visibility has been a primary concern, while the crossings have also been linked to congestion at peak times, but that could soon change.
Bathurst Regional Council, along with Roads and Maritime Services, have closely examined the intersection in recent years and come up with a design to upgrade the area.
Deputy mayor Bobby Bourke said the intersection was “long overdue for improvements” and work should be happening in January, which would see one of the crossings moved.
This was backed up by councillor Warren Aubin, who is a member of the traffic committee and has been campaigning to change the intersection for six years.
“A pedestrian crossing is to be adjacent coming out of the RSL car park on George Street,” he said.
Council’s director of Engineering Services Darren Sturgiss said preparatory works began last week, with water main adjustment work now underway.
“Construction works on the roundabout are planned to commence at the return of council's works staff after the Christmas shutdown.” he said.
“Marked zebra pedestrian crossings will be removed from the roundabout, however pedestrian access will be maintained, with vehicles having right of way.
“A further mid block crossing will be installed to George Street, at Machattie Lane. Machattie Lane will remain available for pedestrian access to RSL carpark.”
Councillor Alex Christian said the “ridiculous” crossings had to be moved from their dangerous location and he would not accept any delays to the project moving forward.
“It’s so frustrating. I sound like a broken record, but it’s another thing that should have been done 20 years ago,” he said.
Cr Aubin explained that there had been a number of reasons why there had been delays to the intersection being refurbished, the latest of which being unexpected works elsewhere taking priority.
“This roundabout was going to be done last year, but with all the flood mitigation out at Perthville, they found an issue with bridge out there and so the funds were taken out of [this project],” he said.
He added that he will be “a happy man” when the intersection is finally improved after years of trying to make it safer.