FOR more than two years, Kent and Dianne McNab have been synonymous with the intersection of Mitre, Suttor and Lambert streets.
The safety of school children in that area has been of concern to them for decades, but an accident on November 25, 2016 was the last straw and led them to speak out.
With the start of yet another year, the couple has reaffirmed their commitment to getting a roundabout at the intersection and have promised they’re “not going anywhere” in 2019.
“The time last year we said it was time to start [construction]. It’s been 12 months now and we’re still here,” Mr McNab said.
“We’re not going anywhere. We’re in this for the long haul.”
The couple recently wrote to Bathurst Regional Council’s director of Engineering Services, Darren Sturgiss, to request an update on where the project was up to.
The last they heard, council was liaising with Crown Lands for permission to run a water main through the scout hall land.
By doing this, council would save money on the project and minimise disruption.
Mrs McNab said that the next move for herself and her husband will be determined by where those discussions with Crown Lands are up to.
“We’re waiting on a response for that [letter] – I think he might be away at the moment – to find out what the current situation is so we can figure out where to go from here,” she said.
Although frustrated by how long it is taking to get an answer from Crown Lands, the couple understands how much easier the project would be if scout hall land could be used.
“By going through the scouts, that is going to save a lot of money,” Mr McNab said.
“The round about doesn’t cost that much, it’s all the infrastructure that’s been there for years.”
What Mr and Mrs McNab do know is that, regardless of what decision is made, they will not be silent until the roundabout is complete.
They said they will attend every council meeting in 2019 and speak at them when appropriate.
People will also see them sporting new shirts that they had made to help spread the important road safety message.
They remain confident that this will be the year the intersection finally sees construction crews move in.
“We’re heartened by the fact that George and Howick street is on the way, so this one is next,” Mr McNab said.