Our photo this week is of the Melbourne Hotel, now the Kelso Hotel on Sydney Road at Kelso, and has been supplied courtesy of the Royal Australian Historical Society.
It shows the four-chimney hotel diagonally opposite the hitching rail where people could tie up their horses or sulkies. While no date is known, I would guess it was around 1880 to 1890s.
Several buildings can be seen down Lee Street towards O'Connell, along with the Kelso Railway Station and at least two hotels. Some rudimentary drainage can be seen, but it would be many, many years before the crossroads and adjourning streets were sealed.
This hotel's first name was the Coach And Horses. When Joseph Rudolph Schrieber took over the hotel, he initially decided to use that name, but while making his application for the licence, he decided to rename it the Melbourne Hotel.
He opened the establishment on September 16, 1874.
He and his wife operated the hotel together until Mr Schrieber's death in 1876. His wife Johanna then applied for the licence in her name.
This was granted, but in October 24, 1877, she advertised in the Bathurst Times newspaper, informing readers that: "The Melbourne Hotel, Kelso - Mrs Schrieber, licensee, is about to go out of business and has instructed popular local Bathurst auctioneer, Mr Thomas M. Sloman, to sell her household furniture on Friday, October 26, 1877."
Mrs Schrieber's hotel was well-known for comfortable board and residence which could be secured for reasonable rates.
The hotel was purchased in April 1878 by Charles H.F. Albert and he was the licensee for four years. At some stage, the establishment was sold to George Young. The date of transfer is uncertain, though Albert remained as licensee.
John D. Browne, late of Macquarie Plains, took over the licence in September 1882. His advertisements stated that: "The establishment having been thoroughly renovated; the proprietor guesses that he has a right to a share of public patronage."
Browne spent more than £300 ($600) doing repairs and modifications. He enlarged one of the rooms to make a bigger area for meetings.
The Melbourne Hotel and four allotments adjoining came up for auction in October 1882. R. and W. Oakes, in conjunction with Croaker and Co, local auctioneers, conducted the auction.
The hotel building, stated as being in the flourishing town of Kelso, was to be sold with its outbuildings and stables. The furniture, bar fittings and other property was to be sold immediately after the property.
The hostelry, it was stated, "is well situated for commanding a good trade, being at the intersection of the Sofala, Limekilns, O'Connell and Main Sydney Roads". Luncheon was provided for those 'registered bidders'.
The freehold title was purchased by Edwin Mortimer of Esrom for £1005 ($2010). Mortimer had moved from the Traveller's Rest, part of the building still remaining at All Saints' College.
Edwin Mortimer carried out a number of changes to the premises, including painting the inside. He refurbished the dining room and changed the bar area.
After the hotel was inspected, he successfully gained his first licence in 1883, and remained as the licensee from this time until 1911.
In early March 1912, the National Advocate reported: "the Melbourne Hotel, Kelso, which changes hands in a few days ...". Reputedly, the Cobb and Co coaches once called there.
A week later, it records the premises changing hands: "... at the Bathurst Licensing Court yesterday, the transfer of the licence of the Melbourne Hotel, Kelso, was granted from E. Mortimer to Henry James Cooper."