AN OVERNIGHT fire has swept through the kitchen of a home causing the hot water system to rupture and leaving a property with significant damage.
Firefighters were called to a home on Mountain Straight at Mount Panorama at 10.18pm on Thursday following reports of a fire.
Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Station Officer Andrew Henderson said the house was "smoke logged" upon their arrival.
"The origin of the fire was from the chimney flue in the kitchen. The house had an old wood stove in the kitchen," he said.
"The fire had spread into the roof structure and some of the insulation was smouldering.
"It caused significant damage to the kitchen. The kitchen ceiling and walls were lined with timber, all that was significantly damaged."
Station Officer Henderson said when FRNSW and NSW Rural Fire Service crews arrived on scene water was flooding through parts of the house.
"It [the fire] damaged the hot water system to such an extent that it ruptured," he said.
Station Officer said the residents of the property had been out to dinner when the fire ignited and came home to discover the blaze.
Love local news?
Why not subscribe.