A BATHURST woman listed among the Australians still missing following a volcanic eruption on New Zealand's White Island has been confirmed as safe and well.
New Zealand Red Cross has published a Family Links website for families to register missing loved ones caught up on the eruption.
On Tuesday morning the website had listed more than 20 Australians as among the missing along with tourists from the UK, New Zealand, South America, India, and other nations.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
A 68-year-old Bathurst woman was listed among the missing but the Western Advocate understands she has made contact with family this morning to confirm that both she and her husband are safe and well.
They had been cruising on the Royal Caribbean ship, Ovation of the Seas, which left Sydney on December 4, but were not among those who had signed up for a day trip to the White Island when disaster struck.
White Island, also known as Whakaari, erupted off New Zealand's North Island on Monday afternoon.
The 24 Australians caught up in the blast were aged between 17 and 72.
"This is a very, very hard day for a lot of Australian families whose loved ones have been caught up in this terrible, terrible tragedy," Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters in Sydney on Tuesday morning.
In total, five people are confirmed dead after the eruption.
A very, very hard day for a lot of Australian families whose loved ones have been caught up in this terrible, terrible tragedy.Prime Minister Scott Morrison
"I fear there is worse news to come over the course of perhaps today or over the next few days," Mr Morrison said.
"This is a terrible tragedy, a time of great innocence and joy interrupted by the horror of that eruption."
New Zealand authorities have done a reconnaissance mission and determined that nobody on the island could still be alive.
The extent of the injuries suffered by the 13 Australians hospitalised is unknown.
Do you want more Bathurst news?
- Sign up now for our free morning headlines and breaking news emails