DOG owners are being urged to be vigilant after rat poison was deliberately left near a dog's feeding bowl in Kelso.
Kiya Colebrook found the pellets near her Rottweiler's bowl on Monday morning.
Luckily the dog, Kahlua, didn't eat any, but the incident has prompted Ms Colebrook to warn other people to keep an eye out.
She said she's had Kahlua for six years, and considers him part of the family.
"We'd be devastated if anything happened to him," she said.
Ms Colebrook said she's never had any complaints about Kahlua, who sleeps inside, and doesn't annoy anyone.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
What is especially worrying is the fact the pellets were left right next Kahlua's bowl, which is next to the back door.
Ms Colebrook said she's just glad Kahlua is okay.
"The pellets were blended in, if I hadn't bent down to pick up the bowl, I never would have seen them. I'm just glad I found them first."
She said she contacted the vet as a precautionary measure, and is keeping a very close eye on her dog in the future.
She also reported the matter to police and urged everyone to be careful.
"I was just really guttered that someone would do this, and the fact the bowl is next the the back door, who ever did it has come right into the yard to do it," she said.