BATHURST Regional Council has downplayed the delay of works at the intersection of Mitre, Suttor and Lambert streets, saying crews were on site on Monday even though traffic islands weren't removed.
Council had told the community last week that "the median islands on Suttor Street will start to be removed from Monday, January 20".
However, on Monday, and then Tuesday, no work appeared to have been done and it wasn't until Wednesday that the traffic islands began to be physically removed.
It had caused frustration amongst community members, who were expecting to see machinery at the intersection two days earlier.
In a statement to the Western Advocate, acting director of Engineering Services Russell Deans said other work was done from Monday to prepare for the removal of the islands.
"Contractors have been on site at the Mitre-Suttor-Lambert street roundabout since Monday, January 20 and prior to the actual physical removal of the islands, which started on Wednesday, a range of work was undertaken including traffic control and preparatory site works to ensure subsequent works could proceed as planned," he said.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:Ramu and crew are ready to show their support for firies
Once the removal of the islands is complete, the next stage of the works can be prepared for and executed.
"Following the removal of the traffic islands, traffic control will again be reviewed and assessed to allow for the best traffic flow possible while the contractor undertakes watermain relocations in successive stages, along with trenching and reinstatement works for the relocation of other utility services," Mr Deans said.
"On completion of service relocation, pavement works will commence on the new tennis court car park, the Suttor Street approach and the northern side of Mitre Street."
Council has warned there will be disruption around the intersection next week, with changes to traffic, parking, school drop-off and bus zones, and people need to allow extra time.