THE hotel and hospitality industry are among the hardest hit by COVID-19, and the industry is calling on support from the community to help them survive the current conditions.
With social distancing and limits on bistro and restaurant numbers in place, pubs and restaurants are asking people, if they make a booking, please honour it, or at least call and cancel, so someone else can take the table.
Over the weekend, a number of local restaurants and pubs posted on Facebook that no-shows had been a problem, one night Jack Duggans had 30 no-shows, despite holding tables for bookings and having limited space.
Other restaurant owners commented on similar experiences; taking bookings, and turning others away, only to have no-one show up on the night.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Tim Heffernan, from the Dudley, said they have really been lucky so far; the bistro is operating at capacity, in alignment with social distracting and other requirements, and has had no issues with people not turning up.
"We've been lucky and had no problems," he said.
Unlike other restaurants and pubs, The Dudley isn't operating its bistro in shifts, instead having just one sitting which Mr Heffernan thought might help.
He said of an evening the bistro opens around 6pm, those who have booked in come and enjoy their meal, and leave when they finish.
He said by about 7.30pm most people have returned home.
However he said bookings were essential to ensure people got a table, with the bistro regularly running at its capacity.
"They do need to make a booking, if they don't book, they won't be able to get a table.
"We had a couple of people turn up last week and the bistro was full, they just got their meals take away and took them home.
"They were fine with that," he said.
Despite the difficulties the hospitality industry as a whole is experiencing, Mr Heffernan said it hasn't been too bad, given the circumstances.
"To start with it was quiet, then the restrictions eased and it picked up again. Now there are new restrictions but it's going okay."
Among the new restrictions, announced across the state by the government on July 17, include mandatory sign-ins, a prepared COVID-safe plans, a cap of 300 people and maximum group bookings of 10 people at a table, all of which is aimed at controlling the spread of the virus.
Despite the new restrictions, it is all running smoothly; Mr Heffernan said the bistro is also doing lunches again, which have been popular and has reintroduced their specials on the menu.
"We've also got draws going again, it's going pretty good," he said.