DANCING will be permitted at Year 12 graduation ceremonies under guidelines released by the NSW Government today.
The COVID-safe plan for school formals recommends dance floors be taken outside or held in well ventilated areas, and that schools limit mingling before and after the events.
Students will be asked to limit the number of guests they invite and events will need to meet the one person per four square metres rule.
The guidelines have been provided to school principals today and Education Minister Sarah Mitchell said she was thrilled students would be able to enjoy the end-of-year celebrations.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
"Our students have done a fantastic job this year staying focused and working towards their final exams," Ms Mitchell said.
"I urge people to follow the directions of their schools and venues and respect public health orders, particularly when planning after events."
Formals and graduations can take place from November 12, the day after the last HSC written exam.
"With less than six weeks to the start of the HSC exams, students can focus on their final studies knowing that there will be official opportunities to celebrate their schooling," Ms Mitchell said.
"We are encouraging schools to use strategies that discourage spontaneous crowding, including when arriving or leaving the event.
"Students should restrict the number of guests they bring to graduation events, and schools are encouraged to live-stream these ceremonies for anyone not able to attend."
The guidelines suggest mingling before and after events should be avoided, private transport options considered and existing restrictions on catering need to be adhered to.
Additionally, the guidelines ask schools to:
- Reduce mingling and attendance where possible.
- Hold dance floors outside or in well ventilated areas.
- Allow dancing with partners from outside the school community only if partners are from the same local community and have an established relationship and normally socialise with the student cohort.
- Ensure the capacity of the event does not exceed four square metres per attendee.
- Restrict tables to 10 people.
- Ask students to take their own pens for yearbook signing.
- Follow and promote good hand hygiene practices.
What do you think?
- Sign up now for our free morning headlines and breaking news emails