REQUESTS made through the media for a pedestrian crossing to be installed closer to the exit of Bathurst Public School have been rejected, as has the reinstatement of a crossing near Kelso Public School.
Parents from each school contacted the Western Advocate about their safety concerns for students back in August.
Harun Rashid has a son who attends Bathurst Public and he said he is worried about children crossing the road, given their young age and the fact their is no one regulating the traffic.
While there is a pedestrian crossing at the intersection of George and Lambert streets, Mr Rashid said students enter the school via the Lambert Street gate, and he feels this is where the crossing needs to be.
"It's a normal process to have a gate then a crossing" he said.
However, Bathurst Public School advised that children with disabilities are dropped and collected at the location Mr Rashid claimed a crossing was needed.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
- September snow in the forecast for Friday night, Saturday morning
- Fast food giant Carl's Jr announces plan to open in the Central West
- SES warns motorists to be mindful of flash flooding during storm season
- Australian Border Force, US Homeland Security: Man charged following raid on South Bathurst home
The school advised a crossing would take away that parking.
Laura Beinke-Knight, has a five-year-old daughter who goes to Kelso Public School, and said she can't believe there isn't a crossing for students to use.
Ms Beinke-Knight said she was scared someone would get hurt trying to get across Gilmour Street.
The school had previously had a children's crossing on Gilmour Street but was removed in 2016 at the request of the school.
At the time, the school reported the crossing was not being used and wanted the additional parking created by removing it for parents to accompany their children into the school grounds.
Transport for NSW Acting Director West, Alistair Lunn said Transport for NSW has contacted principals of Bathurst Public School and Kelso Public School and neither principal had been approached about concerns with pedestrian crossings.
"However, they have confirmed this would be raised with Transport for NSW if required," he said.