Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones, damaging winds and heavy rainfall are forecast for areas south of Bathurst over the next few hours.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology locations which may be impacted by the extreme weather conditions include Trunkey Creek, Oberon, Katoomba, Jenolan Caves, Crookwell and Taralga.
Bathurst sits at the edge of the warning zone.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.\Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Not walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- Stay vigilant and monitor conditions.
If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring Triple-0 if you need rescue.
For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
Want more Bathurst news?
- Sign up now for our free morning headlines and breaking news emails