THIS week's photo was taken in 1938 and is part of the Bathurst District Historical Society collection. The caption reads: "Bathurst Town Hall Staff".
The back row, left to right, are Reece Bailey (electricity clerk); Keith Forrest (gas clerk); Jack Middlemiss (town clerk); and Harley Makepeace. In the front row are Bill Adams (general engineer); Bill Holdorf (electrical clerk); Harold Furness (deputy town clerk); Mick Maloney (engineer of works); Winifred Templeton (stenographer); and Walter Bell (electrical engineer).
In mid-February 1938, four applicants appeared before Bathurst councillors after 32 applications were received for the position of town clerk.
The four were asked to answer questions before a final decision was made. The salary for the new town clerk would be £750 per annum. The shortlist included David Boyd, shire clerk of Kelso Council, Alfred Fox, town clerk of Parkes, John Marsh, town clerk of Liverpool, and J. K. Middlemiss, town clerk of Cootamundra.
Edward A. Cox took this image prior to selling his Central Studio business to Alfred Howlett. Mr Cox had taken over the Central Studio about the middle of the year in 1924 and took numerous images for Bathurst City Council throughout his career as a professional photographer.
He was on hand to take the opening of the Bathurst War Memorial Carillon in November 1933 as well as donating £20 to the Carillon building fund.
It was a great year for Bathurst in 1938 as Mount Panorama opened on Thursday, March 17. The biggest crowd Mount Panorama had known in its history arrived at the entrance to the new Walter J. McPhillamy Park in a great line of motor cars to attend the ceremonial opening of the scenic road and the Walter J. McPhillamy Park.
The Minister for Works and Local Government, Mr Spooner, performed the main ceremony, giving a most lengthy address.
Mayor Ald. M.J. Griffin's addresses paid particular emphasis to the importance with which the whole of the state would regard the new road, which was constructed and controlled by the Bathurst Council.
On March 22, 1938, a historical pageant witnessed by the Governor, Lord Wakehurst, was held in Bathurst as the principal feature of Bathurst's anniversary celebrations.
The pageant, which was the finest ever presented in Bathurst, included many displays dealing with the early development of the Bathurst district.
It was led by detachments of the 1st Field Cadre, the 1st Heavy Brigade, the 1st Tank Cadre, the Air Force Band and a local company of the 20-34th battalion of the part-time militia.
At the civic reception, Lord Wakehurst said that 150 years was not a long time, as history went, but in that period the people of Australia had succeeded in bringing a new continent under the control of civilised reign, so building a nation.
At the end of March 1938, a function took place at the Edinboro Castle Hotel, when the maintenance staff of the Bathurst Municipal Council made a presentation to engineer J. O'Neill of the Turon Shire Council on his retirement. The overseer of works, Mr M. Maloney, explained that Mr O'Neill was a consulting engineer to the City Council.
From July 1, 1938, all milk supplies to the public were certified free from tuberculosis germs.
This advance had been made possible by the strict inspection of all dairy herds, which had been proceeding for nearly 12 months. It was revealed that hundreds of cattle had been found to be infected and their destruction was ordered. Bathurst City Council had assisted with this achievement.
In August 1938, plans of proposed subdivisions were reported to a meeting of the Bathurst City Council.
The applicant was F. Glasson and Co, with the owner being William H. Hopper, with the allotments in Brilliant Street.
Another plan of subdivision was received from Mr J.A. Upfold, showing the portion of land to be transferred to the Bathurst Council in connection with the Vale Creek Diversion scheme.