THIS is the third part of the story of the Henlen butchery business. This week's photo is of the shop on the corner of Seymour and Keppel streets. Note the two pushbikes against the wall.
The following month, September 1890, Frederick placed a similar advertisement in the National Advocate newspaper: "Business Notice - Model Meat Market - F. Henlen begs to inform his numerous friends and the public generally that he has repurchased from Messrs. R. Mutton and Sons the Business known as the Co-Operative Butchery (formerly carried on by himself for over twenty years), which he now intends to devote his whole attention, as he has disposed of his grocery business in Keppel Street to Mr. John P. Cornwell. And in order to keep pace with the times, F. H. has decided to remove on 1st October next to more central and commodious premises, now being erected on the site of his old premises by Mr. Kinna, next to the Royal Hotel at the Corner of William and Russell Streets, which will be fitted up with every convenience of a superior character, including large cellars for refrigerating purposes and trusts through Cleanliness and Strict Attention to Business, to merit a Fair Share of Support from the general public, and that his Old Customers and Friends will once more be to the fore in granting him their cordial support. Small goods a speciality. Bathurst, September 3rd, 1890."
In 1893, a delivery boy from Henlen's butchery was returning from deliveries at Kelso and was passing over the Denison bridge when his horse pulling the cart shied and bolted.
His meat cart was upset and the lad was thrown heavily to the ground. He sustained a few small cuts and bruises.
George, who founded the butchery, and his wife are buried in the Wesleyan section of the Bathurst Cemetery side by side.
Albert William Henlen, who died February 5, 1880, aged seven years and 11 months, is also there. Walter Herbert Henlen, the law clerk, who died June 10, 1942, is there as well.
On July 5, 1900, just four months prior to Frederick's death, Bathurst received a massive fall of snow, which damaged part of their roof.
Bathurst became a snow-bound city. Snow was lying on the ground to a depth of 18 inches to two feet, while on the roofs, where there had been a drift, it lay eight foot and four foot deep.
Snow had fallen continuously for 12 hours. Frederick had some snow brought to his bedside.
His death was reported on Wednesday, November 7, 1900 in the National Advocate thus: "Mr. F. Henlen, Senior, an old resident of this city, died rather unexpectedly at his farm near Wimbledon on Monday afternoon. The deceased, who had been ailing for a short time, was 63 years of age, and had been in the district for 40 years. For some time past he had been carrying on the business of butcher in Keppel Street. He leaves a widow and eight children, five daughters and three sons, all of whom are well-known and highly respected, and sincere sympathy will be extended to them in their bereavement."
Their son, Arthur Norman Henlen, continued the butchery business with his mother Mary after his father's death. Mary continued to produce many of the smallgoods.
Arthur did some newspaper advertising in 1903.
When their Bathurst Butcher Licences came up for renewal for the sale of butcher's goods at the Bathurst City Council in July 1910, the following were granted: Mr. W.E. Grotefont, Mary Henlen, J.W. Maguire (two), Harrison and Johnson, Sutton Bros., C. Brown, A. Taubman, Wing Hing Loong, W. Davis, Tong Sing, J.P. Ryan, Con Soulos and William Ingersole, on the payment of £16 each.
After 62 years, the business of F. Henlen, Family Butcher, changed hands in late 1922. It was purchased by Ken Tucker of Sydney.
By May 1923, the business was known as Kennerson and Rowling's New Leadenhall Market late F. Henlen. The business now had the telephone installed with number 91.