Firefighters from Blayney potentially saved a man's life on Thursday evening, removing him from his home after responding to neighbours' reports of smoke coming from the property, along with the sound of a fire alarm.
Five officers were on scene in total after the initial call came at around 8.30pm and they quickly established a single occupant was unaccounted for, with the property's kitchen the location of the fire.
Two officers, decked out in breathing apparatus, entered the home found the occupant asleep on the couch, they dragged him to safety before quickly extinguishing the blaze and rendering the scene safe.
It was established the occupant had left a pot on the stove before falling asleep, the firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze before it caused any damage to the property as well.
NSW Ambulance paramedics also responded to the incident, treating the occupant for potential smoke inhalation. He, reportedly, had not suffered any impact.
A Fire and Rescue NSW crew from the Bathurst station also responded to the call as back-up, but were not required.
"If it wasn't for this occupant's neighbour, this could have been a very different outcome," Blayney Fire Brigade Captain Anthony Kearney said.
"It's a timely reminder to keep looking while you're cooking and to keep an ear and eye on your neighbours.
"The only damage was to the pot on the stove, fortunately there was no real damage to the property."
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.