THE threat of further legal action will not stop Bathurst Regional Council pushing ahead with plans to begin work on a new go-kart track in McPhillamy Park next week.
Council confirmed three weeks ago it planned to start work on Monday, March 8, sparking a new round of protests among locals keen to have the track moved to another site.
The Western Advocate understands lawyers representing the Bathurst Wiradyuri elders have written to council seeking assurances work will not go ahead while a number of outstanding issues remain unresolved, including the fate of Section 9 and Section 10 applications to the Environment Minister seeking emergency protection for the area.
Council was given a deadline of noon Wednesday to respond and general manager David Sherley said legal representatives for the Wiradyuri elders had been told council would be proceeding as planned.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
"Council has considered the correspondence provided by the Wiradyuri's legal representatives after close of business on Monday, March 1 and we have today provided advice that works will be proceeding according to our previous notification process," Mr Sherley said.
Mr Sherley said council had provided more notice than required that work would begin.
"Council has previously notified key stakeholders that works will commence on Monday, March 8, 2021, as per our undertaking to keep relevant parties updated on works. This notification process also included the relevant Federal Government department," Mr Sherley said.
"Council had previously undertaken to provide seven days' notice prior to any recommencement of works, but in good faith provided this notification on February 12, 2021, well in excess of the required seven days.
"The commencement date was based on availability of access to the site around key motorsport events, hence the start date of March 8."
Initial work from Monday will include "site establishment" and fencing work, while about 60 trees will be felled as part of the project.
Key stakeholders have been provided with a detailed site works schedule.Council general manager David Sherley
"Key stakeholders have been provided with a detailed site works schedule which includes indicative dates for the various stages of works on site," Mr Sherley said.
"In the first instance, works will include site establishment and fencing works.
"Approximately 60 native trees are to be removed as part of the works schedule and this will be offset with planting of 320 eucalyptus species. In addition, there will be 100 silver wattles and 1500 grass virotubes planted."
The work is expected to take about six months and local karters hope to be using the new track by the end of the years.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
What do you think?
- Why not write us a letter to the editor ...