TRACES of COVID-19 have again been found in Bathurst sewage as NSW recorded its greatest overnight rise in cases of the current outbreak.
The state recorded 633 new cases of the virus in the 24 hours to 8pm on Tuesday and health authorities have again urged people to come forward to get vaccinated to help slow the spread.
There were three deaths from COVID on Tuesday and chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said NSW should brace for more cases, more hospitalisations and more deaths in coming days.
She said Western NSW remained an area of concern and confirmed traces of COVID had also been found in Orange sewage.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
"In Western NSW there have been 23 new cases reported in the 24 hours to 8pm and that brings the total to about 139," Dr Chant said.
"There's been a case in Bourke and people in the affected area and across regional NSW need to be vigilant if they've been in Wilcannia in recent days because we think there has been exposure there.
"There have been COVID detections in the sewage Bathurst and Orange and we need those communities to be vigilant and to come out for testing."
Deputy Premier John Barilaro said 17 of the new cases in Western NSW had been found in Dubbo and he again urged the community to stay at home.
"We need to cut down mobility and I ask everyone to consider vaccination," he said.
"... [This is] really putting regional and rural NSW on a knife's edge."
In addition, a contractor working at Bathurst Court House on August 7-8 has since tested positive and the Western Advocate understands people who attended Rydges Mount Panorama on that weekend have been urged to get tested.
However, Rydges has not been listed on the NSW Health NSW COVID-19 case locations website.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
What do you think?
- Why not write us a letter to the editor ...