Bathurst Regional Council has cancelled its proposed drought fundraiser, Driving for Drought 1000, after a lack of registrations.
Driving for Drought 1000 aimed to bring a thousand cars together for a lap around the Mount Panorama circuit to raise funds for Buy a Bale, with the event scheduled to take place on Sunday, October 28.
Bathurst deputy mayor Bobby Bourke said it’s disappointing.
“Maybe there was too much on,” he said.
“We put a lot of our resources into to promoting the event but maybe it was just bad timing.
“We’ll look at something down the track.”
An extensive promotional campaign was undertaken to promote the event and the registration process.
This included radio and print advertising and social media posts on a range of Facebook pages including the Bathurst Regional Council corporate page, Mount Panorama and National Motor Racing Museum.
These all failed to attract enough entries for the event to proceed.
There has been limited interest in the event, having less than 100 entries despite extending the entry time frame and the ongoing promotion of the event.
Cr Bourke said the Bathurst community has already shown massive support for farmers during the drought.
“The community have done a massive job in donating to the farmers,” he said.
“Maybe this one has been just a little bit too much.”
Council originally launched the fundraiser last month.
Council will refund entry fees or if the entrants would like, their fee can be donated to Buy a Bale.