Orange’s La Porchetta Italian restaurant has been shut down after the owners of the Peisley Street building took possession of the site.
It was closed last Friday with a notice placed in a front window under a closed sign stating: “these premises have been taken possession of by the landlord”.
Real estate agent for the owners, Gary Blowes, the director and principal of Blowes Real Estate, said the closure was due to financial issues between the owners and the franchisee, Julie Campbell, who leased the building, that had been ongoing for several months.
“They can no longer trade from there,” he said.
Mr Blowes said the La Porchetta company had been given a 14-day option “to put their own people in there” and continue trading but that did not happen.
“That will mean the end of La Porchetta [at the site],” he said.
On Monday fresh and frozen food was removed from the building and donated to a charity.
A spokesman for the charity said the food would be distributed to needy people.
He said he did not want the charity named as it did not want to be seen as profiting from the situation.
La Porchetta CEO Sara Pantaleo confirmed the closure.
“Regrettably, La Porchetta Orange closed on Friday evening, February 8,” she said.
“La Porchetta is committed to its loyal customers and we are currently liaising with the franchisee and all relevant parties to get the very best result for Orange,” she said.
“We hope to make a further announcement in the near future.”
“We are working through the situation and cannot breach any specific confidentiality,” she said.
It opened 18 months ago after another La Porchetta restaurant, with different management, closed in Orange several years ago.