SIGNAGE was a key to one's business in the early 1900s, as it is today. Our Bathurst District Historical Society photo this week features The Excelsior Printing Works, which was constructed in 1890.
The printing business was owned by Glyndwr Whalan, who decided to pursue his own business interests rather than take up farming with his father at Oberon.
He came to Bathurst as a young lad and took up a printing trade position with the Bathurst Free Press newspaper. Later, he started business on his own account, establishing The Excelsior Printing Works in the basement of the School of Arts in William Street and operating it for several years.
The Bathurst News Company premises and newsagency is to the right in the photo. George Ellis was the manager of the company at that time. He has his local signwriter freshening up the signage for the business.
The signwriter has his ladders at the front leaning against the awning and his toolboxes sitting on the edge of the footpath. This building was erected in 1893.
Glyndwr Whalan later purchased the Keppel Street premises and, 16 years later, in 1906, sold out the printing portion of his business.
Thereafter, until he retired from failing health, which he had suffered for some time, he carried on the establishment as a stationery concern only.
He was known to be very fair in business, supporting many Bathurst organisations when they needed printing done or paper bunting supplied.
He was born in 1853, of Welsh descent and a native of Oberon, and was a son of the late Charles Whalan, who carried on grazing pursuits in the district. Glyndwr Whalan was a highly esteemed and widely known resident of Bathurst. During his long and honourable pilgrimage on earth, his faith in the Christian religion as the chief healing influence in life was unceasing and unalterable.
There was no better known or respected member of the Methodist congregation than Glyndwr Whalan, and the good work he did in church, Sunday School and as a local preacher could best be appreciated by his co-workers and others who encountered him.
Promulgating from the pulpit, the faith that was in him might be described as the ruling passion of his life.
He saw the light and his fervent desire was that others should see it, and with this end in view, personal inconvenience counted as nothing in the great work of setting others on the right path.
Mr Whalan's active part in church work started in his boyhood. He later became a member of the Church Trust and Quarterly Board and was associated with both for many years.
He was also a church steward. In each and every one of these positions, he worked hard for the advancement of his church and always emphasised the importance of its spiritual welfare. His fervent devotion and wise counsel were among the sweet reflections of those who learned to esteem and honour him.
When Glyndwr Whalan passed away at his residence at 195 Lambert Street on the morning of August 2, 1922 from heart disease, he was aged 75.
He had been in failing health for quite a while and his demise was not unexpected. It was said to be characteristic of the man to show fortitude and patience with his illness.
The family left to mourn the loss of a devoted husband and father was his widow and two sons and three daughters, who received widespread and wholehearted sympathy in their bereavement.
The sons were Eric Whalan (Kelso) and the Rev. Harold Whalan, while the daughters were Mrs Cadwell, Miss Edith Whalan, a teacher at the Bathurst State School, and Miss May Whalan.
The funeral left the deceased's late residence at 11 o'clock the following morning.