AN elderly man has been forced to find a new bed for the night after a small fire broke out in his home and a dangerous gas filled the property.
Firefighters were called to a home on Bryant Street at 9.45pm on Tuesday following reports of a house fire.
Fire and Rescue NSW Bathurst station officer Andrew Henderson said upon arrival there was a small fire on the kitchen stove.
"The gentleman left a saucepan with some eggs on it," he said.
"He kind of forgot about it and cooked the eggs and cooked the pot they were in and filled up the house with some pretty acrid smoke."
Firefighters entered the property and removed the burnt food and then used a positive pressure fan to ventilate the property.
MAP: The street where the fire occurred
"We used a gas detector and determined it unsafe for him to stay the night," Station Officer Henderson said.
"There was just too much carbon monoxide for him to go back in."
Paramedics attended the scene and checked the resident but he was not transported to hospital.
"It was really good to see working smoke alarms when we arrived," Kelso Fire and Rescue Captain Scott Wilson said.
There was no structural damage to the property or burnt areas on the stove from the small fire.
Love local news?
Why not subscribe.