LUKE Maloy was at the tip when he got the phone call no one expects. His house was on fire and his pet cats were still inside.
After getting the devastating news he flew home in a panic to his Payne Close home and didn't think twice about running inside a smoke-filled Kelso property in a bid to save the animals.
While his actions went against basic safety advice to never enter a burning building, he simply said he "needed to save his cats".
Luckily, on this occasion the story ends well for everyone.
The cats were saved and while he was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation, Luke has also made a full recovery.
Luke, 38 said he got a call from his girlfriend's mother, Lynn, who lives across the road to say the smoke alarm was going off. Two neighbours had checked and confirmed the worst.
He said if it wasn't for the quick action of his girlfriend's parents and his neighbours, he would have lost everything.
The neighbours went to the property and literally ripped the door off, but by that stage smoke had filled the house and forced them back.
Around the same time, Luke pulled up outside the house and ran to the front door. He pulled his hoodie up over his mouth and ran inside. He said he wanted to get to the back door so he could get the hose and fight the fire.
He went to the kitchen, where everything was in flames and said all he could think about were his cats - Molly, four months and Toby, three years - which he owns with his girlfriend.
He found Toby in the back kids' room, Molly was found in another room.
Luke said he will always be grateful to everyone who assisted on the day.
"If it wasn't for John and Lynn, my girlfriend's parents, and Ron and John down the road, I would have lost everything," he said.
With the kitchen damaged by the blaze and the house suffering smoke damage, Luke can't return home for a while. But he said he's just happy the cats got out of the fire safely.
Do you want more Bathurst news?
- Sign up now for our free morning headlines and breaking news emails