The Bathurst Eisteddfod will not go ahead in 2021 after the extended COVID-19 forced the committee's hand in making the difficult decision last week.
It marks the second straight year the long-running entertainment showcase has been impacted by COVID-19, after last year's event was forced into strict revisions to work around social distancing and gathering limitations.
Bathurst Eisteddfod president Renee Fowler said the decision was made with a heavy heart, but understandably felt the current health orders made it too tough for things to go ahead.
"Bathurst Memorial Entertainment Centre [BMEC] is obviously still closed, and this ongoing lockdown and the uncertainly around the end date and how that will look rule-wise only added to the difficulties," Ms Fowler said.
"There was the option to postpone to November or December, where we'll likely be out of lockdown, but we understand the numerous scheduling conflicts this could cause for our entrants, as well as other community events."
The eisteddfod was originally due to commence on August 21 [a week after Bathurst was plunged into lockdown], and Ms Fowler said everything was ready to go, adding to the frustration of the cancellation.
"It was a very hard decision. We were due for record participation numbers and we held off in hope the lockdown would end sooner."
"But we soon found it wasn't going to be feasible, so when we're all fully vaccinated and hopefully free from the risk of extended lockdowns, we can get back to business in 2022."
It is the first time the eisteddfod has been cancelled in its 76-year history.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: