IT'S BEEN a wet and wild start to the week for Bathurst, with major flooding cutting the city in two.
In the early afternoon, it was announced that the Great Western Highway was going to close near Raglan Creek due to water on the road, turning the already busy roads into chaos as people made the mad dash to get home.
As of Monday evening, the road remains closed, one of a number of roadways across the Bathurst region that are blocked by floodwaters.
FROM TODAY'S FLOODS:
- Isolated and inundated: Perthville has been hit hard by record rainfall
- 'We need the community to be sensible': SES' plea to Bathurst amidst floods
- Mass road closures across Bathurst again after overnight downpour
- The Isabella Bridge in Burraga has been buried with debris
- Photos show enormous impact flooding has had on Bathurst roads
- Stock losses could be up to $50,000 for Bedwells after flood waters ravage store
Flooding occurred after Bathurst recorded its wettest 24-hour period in a quarter of a century, with a majority of the rain falling between 11pm on Sunday evening and 1am on Monday morning.
Bathurst recorded 86.4 millimetres of rain to 9am on Monday morning, breaking the 25-year-old recorded set back in February 1997, when 92mm fell.
Flood levels exceeded that of the 1998 floods which peaked at 6.7 metres.
The city has recorded higher flood levels in the past, however they do not relate to the same gauges used today.
Bathurst has had four flooding events in excess of four metres in the past 60 days.
A relief for the city is the fact that there's no major rainfall forecast for Bathurst for the rest of the week.
Road closures as of Monday evening:
- Great Western Highway - water over road near Raglan Creek
- Hereford Street
- Eleven Mile Drive at Saltram Creek
- O'Connell Road at Saltwater Creek
- Ophir Road at Dunkeld causeway
- Freemantle Road at Macquarie River bridge
- Sofala Road at Winburndale Rivulet
- Lloyds Road
- Vale Road
- Russell Street at Vale Creek
- Lagoon Road at Vale Creek
- Tarana Road
- Bridle Track
- Rivulet Road
Roads that have opened
- Freemantle Road (down to one lane at Frog Hollow)
- Duramana Road
- Gilmour Street
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: